Saturday, April 12, 2008

We are not worthy

“And it’s not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren’t like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.” Thus spake Lord Obama in reference to people who live in small towns.

The arrogance and condescension in that comment is breathtaking. First of all, how the hell would he know what it is like to live in a small town; he being of Chicago. Secondly, I assure you, having always lived in small towns, that the people living there are not in some way inferior, backwards rubes, as his comment implies. The mix of ignorance to sophistication is roughly the same as a metropolitan area. But interaction exists. In a city you can cling to your own group, in a small town you must mingle with others. To me that is a positive.

But what would I know. I bitterly cling to my guns and antipathy for people who aren’t like me.

Asshole.

End of rant.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Obama did not mean bitter..the word he sought was ignorant. Many rural people I know have not a clue as to what is really happening in the world...but have extreme opinions on push button emotional issues such as gun control, abortion, gay marriage and illegal immigration. J.R., LEAVE OBAMA ALONE...said the crying person in front of the youtube camera recorder...or was that Leave Britney Alone? Same same.

J.R. said...

But Obama is known for his speaking ability, so he probably said what he meant; though he may regret it now. And it's not just rural people who ignorantly react, that is common to far to many people, and many of them live in metropolitan areas.

I know, poor Obama, he should be asking "why is everyone picking on me?"

You're a long way from Ipanema.

Anonymous said...

If Obama wants to get elected, he needs to watch what he says. These kinds of comments he makes (and his wife - "first time I'm proud to be an American") are deadly. This one is more deadly than his wife's because they come directly from his lips.

I'm confused with Obama, is he really religious?, or is he not as implied by saying that people "cling" to religion out of frustration.

J.R. said...

I interpreted the "cling" to religion comment as a slap at the religious right. You know, those bumpkins cling to their fundamentalist religion out of bitterness. His religion is okay but if you live in a small town your religion is suspect.

But it may be that he really is not that religious.

It certainly came out wrong whatever the truth may be.

Anonymous said...

I think Obama is somewhat arrogant and he tries to cover it up, but it slips out sometimes. When I've listened to him speak there have been a couple of times where I have cringed.

In the you-tube clip it seemed to me he was trying to explain to a bunch of liberals why the small town white people weren't voting for him, and implied that they are racist and ignorant. He is working on limiting his support to 45-48% in the general election, and it pisses me off.