Wednesday, July 16, 2008

"American History X"

“American History X” is not a new movie, but I had not seen it until tonight. It is a good commentary on how poor race relations can be in America. The skinheads are disgusting, but the black gang bangers are not a notable improvement. It is rather hard for me to form any connection to either group, or the motivations that drive them. What is it about hatred that people, and young people in particular, find so consuming? Is it just confusion over one’s place in the world? Or is it something deeper and more innate? Is it natural to be uncomfortable, and by extension, hate the other; the different?

I don’t have the answers to these questions. I have certainly come into contact with people that held hatred for the other, but I’ve never been able to understand it. In high school I knew people who hated blacks; but why? They had never in their lives known a black person. They would malign Jews, again they might, maybe, know one. It is beyond me to grasp the basis for racial, ethnic, or religious hatred in individuals that are really uninformed about the other.

I don’t know, I don’t understand.

1 comment:

Lady from Ipanema said...

Elisabeth Hasselback does not understand either. Boo Hoo. Whoopi can also explain it to you or others who might not understand. You can see EH cry about this on youtube, reference The View on 7/17/08.